Old 08-04-2004, 07:33 AM
Tim Challenger

Default Kaffir lily is an offensive name

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 21:00:29 +0100, Martin wrote:

SNIP

Well said.

My personal bugbear is the use of 'coloured' as an p.c. alternative to
'black'. Coloured is a blanket term for anyone who isn't white so its
labelling someone by what they're not. If I was black I'd rather be
called black than 'not white'.

Yes, but ask yourself - have you ever actually met someone who is actually
black? The term is a collective approximation for a range of people with
skin colours which can vary from ivory through to very dark brown.

Have you ever met anyone who is actually white? Apart from the clown at the
circus?

--
Tim C.