Old 08-04-2004, 08:32 AM
Martin Sykes

Default Kaffir lily is an offensive name

"Tim Challenger" "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote in message
s.com...
On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 21:00:29 +0100, Martin wrote:

SNIP

Yes, but ask yourself - have you ever actually met someone who is

actually
black? The term is a collective approximation for a range of people with
skin colours which can vary from ivory through to very dark brown.

Have you ever met anyone who is actually white? Apart from the clown at

the
circus?

--
Tim C.

Sometimes colour is the easiest way to indicate who you're talking about. I
don't think it's any worse than tall/short or thin/fat. They're all just
physical characteristics that can be used to describe someone.

Anyway, as an aside, two headlines from newspapers which surprised me at the
time:

'30% of criminals are black' - headline from the Express I think, ignoring
the more obvious point that '70% of criminals aren't black'

'Wanted : Middle-Aged Asian Woman' - Advert in the local paper in High
Wycombe I think, advertising a post at the local centre for equality. Ironic
as it was discriminating by age, race and sex all in one go. :-)

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )