Old 08-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Mark. Gooley

Default Antique roses at...WalMart?

"kate" wrote
Sweet troll o' mine......If you cut the runners off of
*new* roses, such as tea roses, and plant them
elsewhere, they return to their old-rose state.
Am I mistaken? I've done this quite a bit and get
wild looking roses, a different color from the original
and they're climbing, not tea roses. Even if they don't
revert back to old roses, it's a beautiful vine. One of
my Tropicans was replanted on the other side of my
yard, just runners, and it took off like the wild roses do.
It's a deep red instead of orange like the Tropicana,
and has only one row of petals on each rose. I've never
quite understood this.....It's prolific though! Covers
my back corner fence in abundance. Much thornier than
a tea rose also. I do know that it's probably one of the
roses that the Tropicana was bred from, but curious to
know if it's indeed a *wild rose*, or an *old rose*.

Uh, are you removing suckers from the base of a grafted
rose? Then you're getting the rootstock, which is usually
a red rose called "Dr. Huey," which some people, notably
English rosarian Peter Beales, think is worth growing on
its own. It's also known as "Shafter." It dates from 1914.
It grows to about 12 to 14 feet, dark red blooms, 15 petals
or so, 2" wide, mild fragrance, once-blooming each year.
See http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=1550 for
more details.

Mark.

It's not a reversion