Old 08-04-2004, 02:32 PM
Stuart Pedazzo

Default Will using paper for mulch cause mold?

This is a very common practice. I use newspaper quite frequently in
this manner and have never had any problem with mold--in fact, the
only problem you may have is if you sprinkle your garden with a hose
sprinkler, the water may not penetrate the newspaper. If you irrigate
your plants this is not much of a problem.

I have used this method for the past few years and it is a life saver!
Just put a few layers of newspaper down and cover it with straw or
lawn clippings. Then punch holes in the paper with a pitch fork to
allow the water to seep through. If your garden is small enough you
could run a soaker hose under the newspaper as Bill said.

Sincerely,

Stuart Pedazzo...but you can call me Stu!