Old 08-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Babberney

Default Garden Lighting

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 17:00:27 +0100, "Ben Blackmore"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for some garden lighting, I like the look of those small rock
lights, as they can be hidden amongst the flowers, however they are only
12v, and can only be placed 3-4m from the transformer, and you can't daisy
chain them together.

I think I need something higher voltage, maybe just standard 240v with no
transformer. A set of 5 or 6 smallish ground lights, that can be daisy
chained around the garden (20m). It would also be good if it was possible to
install multi coloured bulbs as well, (as the rock lights only support 10w
halogen, and coloured halogen are 30w).

Anyone know of anything simular to this?

Cheers

Ben

I agree with Jim. if you get the right transformer, you can have a
nice array of lights in series over a much greater distance than you
have suggested. You might have to look beyond the home despot for
pro-quality stuff (or maybe not--I haven't messed with the stuff they
have, since it always seems to be broken when I see it at others'
houses), but you can do it. I've had good success with Vista brand
products (I have no connection with them other than being a customer).

I think using AC to run garden lights is a waste of juice, an eyesore,
a maintenance nightmare, and a safety risk. 12V is safe, easy,
unobtrusive, and efficient. I also prefer the spotlight/ambient light
effect more than the floods you usually see in AC systems, but that's
me.

good luck,
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/