Old 08-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Shiva

Default I think I did a B-A-A-A-D thing ...

Unique Too wrote:

Shiva, I just read an article by Malcom Manners titled "Ultimate Easy Roses."
He lists eight favorites "with cast-iron constitutions that they are truly
carefree in our climate." I was very surprised to see R. rugosa rubra listed.
The article says it is the roots, not the tops that resent the heat. "Grafted
on Fortuniana.....it gets no diseases at all, blooms nearly constantly and is a
tight compact bush."
I don't know if the rugosas are routinely available grafted on any rootstock,
but after seeing photos of them in Suzy Verners book I think I'll start
looking.

Very good, useful information, thank you, Julie.
I will look for Hansa on fortuniana. Even though
I am not attracted to once-bloomers, r. rugosa rubra is attractive
to me because of its hips. Do you grow it?