Old 08-04-2004, 08:36 PM
Steveo

Default Compost

"leafs4" wrote:
We have been looking into different landscaping ideas and recently had a
friend suggest using compost. He suggested laying this down over the weed
barrier and then planting our flowers, trees, etc. My questions is are
there any downsides that anyone has noticed to using compost? This is
made of leaves, shrubbery, etc that has been baked and then sold. Any
comments on why you like, or do not like using this type of compost is
welcome!

Thanks!

Compost alone is usually too 'hot' for plant material by itself. It's
usually used as an additive to the existing soil. By hot I mean it
hasn't broken down to topsoil yet, and may burn your plant material.

I'd look at mixing compost and topsoil, if you value your plants. ymmv