Old 08-04-2004, 08:37 PM

Default Are there any UK Plant Exchange sites that anyone knows of?

I live near Leeds (Pudsey)

/4/04 7:42

Hello,

Does anyone know if there are any sites where people can exchange
plants?
I did stumble on one that looked good although it was for amaricans
only.

I'm quite new to gardening (this is my first house that has had a
garden) and I am in need of some taller plants and trees but they seem
very expensive from garden centres.

I have a greenhouse and have bought a few different types of seeds but
i was looking for tree and shrub type plants.

Does anyone know of any sites?

Thank you

Where do you live? I will declare a bias here and now and suggest (as a
nurseryman's wife) that you look for genuine nurseries, small, family run,
rather than large garden centres which have large overheads and have to
charge larger prices, in the main. I think that if you're lucky enough to
live within striking distance of a real nursery, you'll see a huge price
difference.
And you can ask for plants and trees or garden vouchers for birthdays,
Christmas etc. presents. More 'and' - bear in mind that whatever you buy
will grow, even if it's a titchy thing now. Some will take longer than
others, of course but they all get there in the end. Quite a lot of the fun
of gardening is planting something and waiting for it to start growing,
fruiting etc. We planted a mulberry tree when our grand daughter was born 3
years ago. It was around 3' when we planted it and is now over 6' - last
year it even had 3 or 4 fruits!
I hope very much that you enjoy your garden and I think you will - sounds
like you're off to a great start.