Old 08-04-2004, 08:39 PM
Broadback

Default Garden Lighting

Sacha wrote:

Look, I'm really sorry to rain on anyone's parade but perhaps you might ask
yourselves if you really *want* garden lighting? Why? What will you do with
it? Will you actually sit at the window and turn off the telly and look out
at our night-illuminated garden?
This country has (IIRC) the highest light pollution in the world
proportionately speaking. I can understand garden lighting when you're
using a deck or terrace for a party but to light plants at night? WHY?
Can't you look at them in the day time?
If you live in the boondocks and need to light the path to the house - maybe
install something that comes on as you approach it and goes off rapidly as
you enter the house.
So - FWIW, you may want to consider less light pollution and more sitting
outside in the soft darkness of a summer's night looking at the *stars*
which will not have been blanked out by a something-or-other lighting your
Skimmia or bamboo and all those of all your neighbours. Just a teensy
thought....
A newcomer to this village tried to get street lighting installed once - not
a shrewd move. I think he moved quite soon after that. ;-)
On many winter and summer nights we go outside to look at the stars and even
with the very faint loom of Torquay some miles away we can actually *see*
them. It's another world, a magic, a revelation. And all our plants are
still there next morning, in the *day*light.

Oh how I agree, the usual argument for excessive lighting is it reduces
crime rate. How is that so, when I was young just after WW2 in Somerset
my parents home looked out from the Mendips over the Somerset levels,
the only light was looking up. Now it is all that awful yellow, and
crime, reduced? I think not!
--
Please only reply to Newsgroup as emails
to this address are deleted on arrival.