Old 08-04-2004, 08:41 PM
anne

Default Vegetables in heavy soil

Jonathan Culver wrote in message
Which vegetables thrive in heavy soil?

It's the second year of planting in this patch.
I had success with potatoes (Wilja) Spinach and French Beans lasy year
but a poor show of onions and as for the radishes!

The patch has received 2 loads of horse manure/straw, but it is still
hard work. The soil does not till very well, clups of soil form on the
rake.

Thanks

Jonathan

In my case, runner beans, broad beans, leeks, sprouts, turnips and swede all
did fine in heavy clay soil. I did add a small pocket of peat to set each
seedling in first though (don't know if this helped). I set everything off
in seed trays as I'm sure they'd have no chance being put straight into the
ground. The books say rake to a fine tilth - they ain't seen my soil! My
onions weren't very good either, but like you the french beans and potatoes
were fine. I grew other things in a box with lots of sand and peat added -
lettuce, radish, spring onions, and beetroots all did well. The carrots were
ok but no prize winners.

---