Old 08-04-2004, 11:10 PM
Jane Ransom

Default Garden Lighting

In article ,
Stephen M. Henning writes
Sacha wrote:

Look, I'm really sorry to rain on anyone's parade but perhaps you might ask
yourselves if you really *want* garden lighting? Why? What will you do with
it? Will you actually sit at the window and turn off the telly and look out
at our night-illuminated garden?

Apparently you aren't familiar with the tradition of barbecue (bar-BQ).
It is where you cook outdoors on a grill (charcoal or propane) and eat
outdoors. If the host has a nice garden, the bar-BQ may be held in or
next to the garden. If the function lasts after sundown, outdoor
lighting is needed. Frequently it includes tiki torches with citronella
laced fuel to keep the insects down.

Poor old mother earth.

The unnatural light in the garden scares off all those nocturnal
creatures that don't like light . . .

.. . . you kill the insects so the animals that feed off the insects all
die; then all the animals that feed off the animals that eat the insects
all die . . .

.. . . and you would rather look at artificial light than the stars . . .

poor old mother earth (((((((((((

BTW in the uk when the temperature reaches a sufficient level to have a
bbq outside, it stays light until it is too cool to be outside any
more!!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.