Old 08-04-2004, 11:10 PM
Jane Ransom

Default Poisoning snails - poisoning birds?

In article uDgdc.89$Xc6.73@newsfe1-win, Andy Hunt
writes
I've been forced to put down some snail pellets, because they've had every
single turnip seedling except one.

If a bird eats a poisoned snail, will it poison the bird?

Look . . . slugs and snails tend to come out at night and gobble up the
slug pellets.

This means they are dead by morning.

Birds that eat slugs and snails are not carrion eaters.

They will not touch anything already dead and they don't come out at
night to eat something that may be dying.

We usually use a few slug pellets early in the year and we have song
thrushes, mistle thrushes and blackbirds in the same numbers (maybe even
more as we have slowly provided more habitat) as we had 11 years ago.
A few slug pellets, judiciously placed, will not harm birds. I really
can't see any bird being stupid enough to eat a slug pellet . . . the
smell wouldn't be right.

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.