Old 09-04-2004, 06:03 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Kaffir lily is an offensive name

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

You really should keep this in mind when you start insulting people and
calling them names etc as you so often do.
Is it this "momentary feeling of superiority in knowing that they are
insulting someone " that gives you such a kick?

You so often exhibit a great knowledge of plants, and a great use of
reference material in how you answer many questions raised here, then next
minute you're like a 10 year old in the playground who cant get their own
way and who dredges up all the insults and foul words they can think of to
vent their pent up anger.
So why not consider other peoples feelings and practice what you are
preaching, and consider peoples feelings in future.

The OP's been in my killfile for a long time so I don't see his posts.

'Kaffir' is a perfectly proper name for several indiginous tribes of
South Africa (inc the Xhosa) and just because the word is abused by some
as a blanket term of contempt for any black African it doesn't make
'Kaffir' an offensive word per se. It reflects on the misusers, not on
the perceived target, just the same as other abusers of
nationalities/communities/ethnic groups such as Jew, Arab, Bohemian,
French (screwdriver), Dutch (courage) don't make the use of these
nationalities offensive.

It's the intent behind the use of a word which is important, not its
political correctness to well-meaning fools.

If a 'Kaffir lily' were the name for something obnoxious, I would agree
that it was an offensive name. Since it isn't, I can only assume that
the OP is trolling as usual.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/