Old 09-04-2004, 10:35 AM
Larry Stoter

Default Poisoning snails - poisoning birds?

david taylor wrote:

I used to think that blackbirds and thrushes would not touch slugs and
snails that had been killed by pellets.
I put down some pellets last year-they lay dry for about a fortnight. Heavy
rain brought out the snails. They died in droves and with them a young
thrush that had been eating the corpses.
I'm now convinced that the demise of the song thrush is because of overuse
of slug pellets by GARDENERS.
I have stopped using metaldehyde pellets and put no toxic adsorbent as
protection around special plants. I haven't worked out yet how to protect a
Lewisia growing out of a wall.
I may shell out for biological protection for my strawberries.
"Jim S" wrote in message

Of course, what you do in your garden is in practise completely
insignificant to the poisons put down by farmers.

--
Larry Stoter

Gardens, even in SE Engalnd, cover a tiny fraction of the land. Farmers
have a much greater influence on anything gardeners may do. That is not
say that minmising the use of toxic chemical in gardens is not a good
idea.

--
Larry Stoter