Old 09-04-2004, 10:36 AM
Larry Stoter

Default Poisoning snails - poisoning birds?

Jim S wrote:

Of course, what you do in your garden is in practise completely
insignificant to the poisons put down by farmers.

--
Larry Stoter

Yeah, right larry. If you knew anything about farming you would know that
alot of them are realy strugging. Do you realy think they would apply an
expensive *poisons* as you say, for no reason. Why have a go at farmers on
this topic.

I agree some farmers do 'nuke' anything in site, but please dont tar
everyone with the same brush!

As a gardeners a agree that slug pellets are nasty, and go out of our way
not to use them.

I'm perfectly well aware that many farmers are struggling, although I
rather suspect that the agribusiness barons in E. Anglia with their
acres of oil seed rape and tons of molluscides are doing rather well.

I also understand perfectly well why some farmers do apply expensive
poisons - which are often more toxic than those available to the general
public. The molluscides are applied to increase yield and profit. These
molluscides are at least implicated, directly or indirectly, in the
decline of various bird species.

So farmers do have a responsibility - and the use of a whole range of
chemicals isn't going to solve the problems of farmers.

I am actually generally pro-farmer - they have by far the greatest
influence on the UK countryside and many do a good job at protecting and
enhancing wildlife. They have also been very badly served by politicians
and, in many cases, the NFU. I personally think that the UK farm
community could learn a great deal from French farmers.
--
Larry Stoter