Old 09-04-2004, 01:03 PM
John Gotts

Default A strange sight at Home Depot

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 16:45:33 GMT, Warren wrote:

It's not uncommon to find a situation like that at a small retail store.
When the owner shows up often, the manager answers directly to the
owner, and the business is small enough that the owner knows the drones
by name, and even knows a little about their personal life, you'll find
a higher level of trust afforded to said drones. Human nature is that in
a situation like that there is more trust between the owner and the
drones, and it's less likely that the drones will rip-off the owner.

On the other hand, at least once a month there is a story in the
newspaper about some trusted drone who ripped-off the owner of a small
business. And those are just local stories, and involve big enough
rip-offs that they're newsworthy. While it may be less likely that a
drone at a small retail store will rip-off the owner as compared to what
happens at a large, faceless company like Home Depot, it does happen.
And it's so much easier to do it at a small business because they don't
take safeguards like destroying unsaleable merchandise, locking
dumpsters, or aiming a security camera at the dumpster. (And often if
they do aim a camera on the dumpster, the thieving employee also has
access to the tape!)

While I've never worked in retail, I can see where the temptation lies. In
order to keep prices down, lower level employees are paid below the poverty
line. I'm surprised that people making $5.00 an hour don't steal more often.

--
John GOTTS http://linuxsavvy.com/staff/jgotts