Old 09-04-2004, 02:34 PM
Andy Hunt

Default Poisoning snails - poisoning birds?

I've been forced to put down some snail pellets, because they've had

every
single turnip seedling except one.

You haven't been forced, you've chosen to rather than accept the
alternative of no turnips. ;-)

True! It was just a 'turn of phrase' rather than an attempted abrogation of
responsibility . . . not motivated by revenge either, I might add. It's a
bit too late for my turnips, in any case. I'm going to replace them (RIP)
with some courgette seedlings which I've got in a propagator. Hopefully the
snails will have been "pacified" (in the military sense) by then. Then
again, they may just come back with reinforcements, in which case, I will
admit defeat with the poisons and resort to sitting in wait for them in the
dead of night and "picking them off" one-by-one. In the latter case, I'll
"transfer" them to my front garden, where they can't do any harm.

I also accept responsibility for the wasps I swat in the summer. I usually
get told off for it by someone, but I just can't abide them buzzing around
the place when you're trying to eat/drink outside . . . drowning in a lake
of beer may be some people's idea of a good way to go, but I think a short,
sharp end may be slightly more merciful . . . ?

Andy