Old 09-04-2004, 03:34 PM

Default Potato Planting

On 09 Apr 2004 16:53:22 +1200, "Loki"
wrote:

il Thu, 08 Apr 2004 11:45:00 -0400, ha scritto:

That's a sweet potato. It will work with a sweet potato.
It won't work with an Irish (or white, or regular) potato,
as far as I know. Better to buy seed potatoes at a nursery
or garden center.

An 'irish' potato?? They come from the americas...

I know. Nevertheless, we in the USA often call them 'Irish
potatoes' to distinguish them from 'sweet potatoes'
(_Ipomoea batatas_) which are much used here.

After all, the Irish have been known to eat a few potatoes,
just occasionally.

I doubt that what we call 'French toast' actually comes from
France either. It's good though.

[Digression]
My husband (who is British) had never heard of 'French
toast' until moving to the USA. In case you don't know what
it is either, and are curious - it's a breakfast or brunch
food, usually.

Beat an egg or two or three with a fork. Stir in a few
drops of vanilla or almond extract or both, and a couple of
teaspoons of sugar. Pour it into a flat type of pan. Put
slices of white bread in the egg mixture and allow them to
remain there for a few minutes, so some of the egg mixture
soaks into the bread. Saute the bread in oil or melted
butter until nicely golden with brown flecks, turn, and
repeat for the second side.

(I generally eat 100% wholewheat bread, but - to my way of
thinking - it doesn't work for French toast. I use white
bread for French toast - or French bread or Italian bread
sometimes.)

Serve hot. We usually serve it with a little butter and
some maple syrup (a little warmed honey could substitute).

Instead of maple syrup, it's also very nice with a pat or
two of butter, a couple of sprinkles of lemon juice, then
sprinkled with confectioner's sugar (icing sugar).
[End digression]

Pat