Old 09-04-2004, 04:12 PM
Bob Hobden

Default [OTish] I think we might 'ave an 'awk!

"David wrote in message

about a week or so back, one morning whilst glancing out of the window

from
across the room, I saw what looked like an explosion in a pigeon factory -
feathers everywhere and rising in the wind to blow over towards our

garden.

By the time I got to the window for a good look, there were just a few
drifting feathers.

I assumed 'something' had got a pigeon, but probably not on the ground
because of the height of the cloud of feathers.

Today, looking out on our lawn, there is a cluster of pigeon feathers but

no
pigeon.

They weren't there about an hour ago. ((snip))

Last year we had a Gosshawk working our allotment site and the surrounding
area which is home to large numbers of pigeons due to the proximity of the
Egham Swan Sanctuary (free lunch). They fly low and fast, dodging in and
around trees and shrubs often taking birds whilst they are perched and are
like a large Sparrowhawk.
The Peregrine Falcon will also take pigeon and they normally dive on it in
flight at a rate of knots.
As you say, it's an explosion in a feather pillowcase when they kill. One
was caught right above my head one day, quite a thump and then the feathers
floated down.
They normally have a favourite post/perch where they sit to eat their meal
often it's surrounded with feathers and bits of uneaten bird.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars