Old 09-04-2004, 04:12 PM
Kay Easton

Default Poisoning snails - poisoning birds?

In article , Jane Ransom
writes

What is really worrying us is the rate at which barns are being
converted into housing as more and more farmers are pushed out of
farming (why shouldn't a farmer have a decent standard of living?)

Why should only a farmer have his standard of living protected? The rest
of us have no guarantee that our chosen profession will continue to
support us, not matter how many of our generations of forefathers have
followed the same profession.

By all means argue that we need to protect farmers as a means of
providing food without reliance on imports, or to maintain the landscape
in the form that we have changed it to over the last few hundred years,
but I don't think the argument that anyone should be guaranteed a good
standard of living simply because they are doing the job they have
chosen to do is particularly compelling.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: