Old 09-04-2004, 04:12 PM
Kay Easton

Default Poisoning snails - poisoning birds?

In article , Jane Ransom
writes
In article , Kay Easton
writes
Whereas we have *more* mistle thrushes, song thrushes and blackbirds
than we had 11 years ago ;-)

Hey, Kay . . . I did say a 'few' pellets 'judiciously' placed.

Do you attribute the increase solely to your non use of slug pellets or
your provision of habitat?

Provision of habitat ... which *includes* trying to make sure I have all
of the links of the food chain. Therefore I've stopped using pesticides
(including molluscicides). And I know from observation that my
populations of greenfly are greatly appreciated ;-)

I can't recall the current populations of the various birds - I think
mistle thrushes are increasing slightly, which mean merely having the
same number isn't necessarily a success. Whereas maintaining the number
of song thrushes can be regarded as a success, since their overall
numbers are still declining.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: