Old 09-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Starlord

Default Surprise Amaryllis And Question

The best way is to let it bloom, cut off the spent bloom stalks, left
it and let it rest, then replant it in a pot by itself. If you force
it a lot, it'll drain the bulb and kill it off. Forcing is not good.
Took this long to rebuild itself to bloom again.

--
Dragons Must Fly when Thread's in the Sky

www.starlords.org

"Skirmishd" wrote in message
I bought my first amaryllis at Rite-Aid about 3 years ago. I stuck

it in a pot
with some purple shamrocks and it bloomed in a couple of weeks.

From some
reading, I thought the leaves would die and then I was to cut them

back, remove
the bulb, and after dormancy could force more blooms. I just had a

few years
of the shamrock constantly blooming and the boring amaryllis leaves

and I
didn't know what to do so just kept them in the east window and

watered them
when dry.
I watered the plants a few days ago and noticed nothing. Then,

today, there
are these two huge red flowers ready for the holiday. How do I rest

the bulb
properly after this? Could I get some more flowers by Christmas?

TIA

---