Old 10-04-2004, 12:03 AM
Janet Baraclough..

Default A Garden to sell a house

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

When we were looking for our current house we went to see one which was
the subject of a dispute between a divorcing couple. Wife (in residence)
clearly didn't want it to be sold, and celebrated our visit by repotting
her entire container collection ... on the living room carpet ;-)

The next house we went to see had also been occupied by a couple who
were no longer together. This time it was the husband who was doing his
best to prevent the sale -

We once viewed a house in similar conditions.

As soon as my lawyer heard about our viewing experience he made some
enquiries with the vendor's divorce lawyer and advised us not to waste
our time or money. The husband had no intention of selling the house;
the wife wanted her share of the value. Apparently it's quite common for
a divorcing partner who wants to keep the house, to put it on the market
in such a poor state that it only attracts very low offers.Then he can
buy-out the partner's share cheaper.

Janet.