Old 10-04-2004, 02:32 AM
Evergreen Gardenworks

Default [IBC] ID Bonsai - Zelkova?

At 01:18 PM 4/7/04 -0700, Richard wrote:
I saw this bonsai at the Sacramento Bonsai show April 4, 2004 in
Sacramento, California, USA.

http://richard2721.home.mindspring.com/zelkova.htm

It was labeled Zelkova. Can someone tell me if it is a Zelkova
serrata?
Also, are there any named varieties of this tree that would be more
suited for bonsai?
Thanks in advance.

Richard

Difficult to say definitively. It appears to be Zelkova serrata. There is
also Z. carpinifolia, but the marginal lobes are not rounded enough for
that species. Don't worry about the cvs., they are for landscape purposes,
and the grafts will give you problems. Seedlings are just fine and
inexpensive.

Zelkova and Ulmus parvifolia can be difficult to tell apart. Ulmus would be
another candidate. A good test for telling Zelkova from Chinese elm is that
Zelkova leaves are hairy. If you grab a Zelkova leaf between your thumb and
forefinger and rub it, it will 'walk' between your fingers. Ulmus
parvifolia leaves are shiny, nearly hairless and won't move between your
fingers. However, since this is someone's show tree, they will probably
take a dim view of your performing this test.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++