Old 10-04-2004, 06:02 AM
David Ross

Default Surprise Amaryllis And Question

Skirmishd wrote:

I bought my first amaryllis at Rite-Aid about 3 years ago. I stuck it in a pot
with some purple shamrocks and it bloomed in a couple of weeks. From some
reading, I thought the leaves would die and then I was to cut them back, remove
the bulb, and after dormancy could force more blooms. I just had a few years
of the shamrock constantly blooming and the boring amaryllis leaves and I
didn't know what to do so just kept them in the east window and watered them
when dry.
I watered the plants a few days ago and noticed nothing. Then, today, there
are these two huge red flowers ready for the holiday. How do I rest the bulb
properly after this? Could I get some more flowers by Christmas?

TIA

See my http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_hippeastrum.html. It
describes the differences between the bulb commonly called
"amaryllis" and the genus Amaryllis. The former is in genus
Hippeastrum, and that page goes into some detail about my
experience with that genus.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/