Old 10-04-2004, 06:03 AM
Mark. Gooley

Default looking for sources...

"hermine stover" wrote:
[on B. balcooa]
We have never yet been moved to propagate it because
of the lack of demand. I mean, it is rare here, but it is also
very much like oldhamii which is a standard of the industry
for tall clumping bamboos. I believe it is somewhat more
cold-sensitive than oldhamii.

I really should get an oldhamii anyway, and, yeah, the ABS
species list and other sources say it's more cold-tender. But
I'm a glutton for punishment -- hey, I went and bought a
Dendrocalamus asper last month, which in my part of Florida
may well croak from the cold, and all of my biggish clumpers
are struggling anyway, even the B. ventricosa: they tend to
shoot in the autumn and then the immature culms get killed
by frost.

Mark.