Old 10-04-2004, 07:35 AM
Roy Bailey

Default More berries mean a hard winter - old wives tale?

In article , David W.E. Roberts
writes
Hi,

there is a theory that extra berries on the shrubs means a hard winter and
nature is taking care of all the birds etc.

This sounds doubtful if subjected to logical analysis anyway - my 2p theory
is that more berries means a good summer, and good summers (lots of high
pressure and clear skies) are often followed by hard winters (lots of high
pressure and clear skies).

Be that as it may:

we had loads of berries on the shrubs last year - after a wonderful summer.

I think that is the reason.

We have three large sycamore trees adjoining the garden and I have never seen so
many of their germinating seeds before. They are everywhere - growing on the
lawn, in the orchard, on the gravel drive, even lodged in the frame of the
trailer. I'm going to have to spend a lot of time pulling them up during the
next few months.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.