Old 10-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Loki

Default Potato Planting

il Fri, 09 Apr 2004 10:32:27 -0400, ha scritto:

I know. Nevertheless, we in the USA often call them 'Irish
potatoes' to distinguish them from 'sweet potatoes'
(_Ipomoea batatas_) which are much used here.

Hmm, we call our sweet potatoes 'kumara' and ordinary potatoes just
'potatoes'

After all, the Irish have been known to eat a few potatoes,
just occasionally.

As does the whole world now. Although rice is making a resurgence.

I doubt that what we call 'French toast' actually comes from
France either. It's good though.

[Digression]
My husband (who is British) had never heard of 'French
toast' until moving to the USA. In case you don't know what
it is either, and are curious - it's a breakfast or brunch
food, usually.

--snip--

We used to have it as kids in Australia, but added milk to the eggs.
We knew it as French toast from my father (also English)

The French have a really revolting habit (to my taste) of dunking and
leaving old hard bread into the morning large cup of cafe latte and
then eating the soggy mass with a spoon. I've adopted the cafe latte
for breakfast but no way am I ever going to eat totally soggy toast
from a mug!

(I generally eat 100% wholewheat bread, but - to my way of
thinking - it doesn't work for French toast. I use white
bread for French toast - or French bread or Italian bread
sometimes.)

Like wholemeal pasta (a crime).

Perhaps you'd like curried toast? Put curry paste on toast and cut
into fingers. Leave out the chafing dish, I don't think it's so
necessary despite what Mrs Beeton says.
:-)
--
Cheers,