Old 10-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Mike LaMana

Default Spruce turned orange

White spruce will tolerate alkalinity pretty well IME, so I don't think the
limestone pavers are the issue. Sounds like something related to the walkway
extension project - root removal coupled with a rough winter maybe?? Or, are
the trees now being inundated with more water than before??

The single orange branch on the other tree is really throwing me.

Can't be of more help with traveling. Sorry.

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
I don't really know how long it's been there, probably 10 to 15 years.

I think it's a native transplant, so it's likely a white spruce.

It's fairly close to the fence (neighbor), so it could be a dog problem?

There were actually three spruce in a clump, I removed the middle one when

extended a walkway last year. Perhaps the limestone screenings affected

this
tree. But the tree closest to the new walkway looks fine. The dead tree

was
furthest from the new patio stones.

I'm in Toronto ON. The winter was not any colder than most.

"Mike LaMana" fake@MikeatHeartwoodConsultingdotnet wrote in message
Conifers that appear orange at this time of year probably died during

the
winter or well before. Especially spruces - most of which are very

resistant
to desiccation even when dead. How long was the tree in the ground? What
kind of spruce/ Where on globe are you? Is the tree next to pavement/

Does
it inhale exhaust for hours while the car warms up? Is it buy the pool
filter? Need more info.....

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC
Toms River, NJ
www.HeartwoodConsulting.net

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
ers.com...
We have a spruce tree that's turned completely orange this spring. I

assume
it's dead.

What's the cause, pest, fungus, soil? It looked fine during the

winter,
but
as soon as the thaw came it died. We've also got another spruce a few

feet
away with one orange branch.

Do I have to wait til fall to plant a replacement?