Old 10-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Jeffrey K. Judd

Default Dead spots in lawn

"Doug G" wrote in message
Jeffrey K. Judd wrote:

I had a new lawn and sprinkler system professionally installed in 1999.
Every year since 2002 there have been numerous dead spots everywhere.

It
looks like it will be the same this year. I have always had a

professional
landscaper take care of the fertilizer/weed killer/grub control
applications. (I usually apply starter fert. between his

applications-this
was a tip from the lawn installation company). He has been unable to
explain why my grass dies.

The water from my point well has a lot of iron in it. The grass is

Kentucky
Blue grass and was originally hydroseeded. My neighbor next door does

not
have my lawns problem. His lawn/sprinklers were professionally

installed in
'99 too, by a different company. His grass was from seed and his water

is
city water; no iron.

Pictures can be seen at: http://www.outsourceparts.com/crappylawn (click

on
the thumbnails for larger view)

-Is the iron a problem?

-Am I stressing the grass with the starter fertilizer?

-Good loam was added over my original lawn- I assume that is deep

enough.

-I mow at 2.75" (1" lower for the last mowing)

What do you think the problem is?

Are you getting salt spray from winter traffic on a nearby street?

I live on a dead end with woods on two sides so roadsalt would not be an
issue. I do have a suspicion that the dead spots have something to do with
the snow. Is there a fungus or mold (other than snow mold) that could kill
grass?

Thanks,
Jeff