Old 10-04-2004, 08:13 PM

Default Volume of brown wheelie bins?

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 12:44:46 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

Hi,

I am considering the offer of compost bins from the local council - 330l for
£16-00 (£4 delivery charge) and am trying to calculate:

(a) how many I would need to process lawn mowings
(b) would I have room for them :-)

I know that one mowing from the lawn will fill the brown wheelie bin from
the council.
[As this is only emptied once every two weeks this is not a solution for
recycling grass during spring and summer.]

So if I knew how much a brown wheelie bin held I could calculate how long it
would take to fill a compost bin.

I realise that once composting starts and some of the moisture and air gap
is lost then the volume will reduce, but this will take a little time and I
will probably be mowing at least once a week for the next few months.

I have tried to Google the answer, but no luck.

The bin itself has all sorts of markings, including a decibel rating (!) but
AFAIKS no volume.

TIA
Dave R

Our council give them out for free, or, I should say they used to as
we have had ours a very long time. It works great. Its green and
shaped like a Dalek. But, through their recycling effort we now hasve
a back garden full of their bins and bags. Black-general rubbish,
green-garden rubbish not suitable for wormery, black box-bottles, tins
and plastic and green bags for paper. I think we are the only ones in
the cul-de-sac who use them all. Must say though that it must be very
hard for little old ladies (I'm a tall old lady) to be lugging these
containers around every week. Diana