Old 10-04-2004, 09:03 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Is this blanket weed?

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article ,

Cumberpach
writes
You could always buy a couple of portions of Azolla Filiculoides

(Fairy
moss) from Bromfield and when it covers half the pond, skim it off

onto the
compost heap. I would recommend a UV lamp to assist filtration, but

this
will only get rid of the algea and not the blanket weed.

Be careful with that, though. Azolla is very vigorous and has spread

many of our natural ponds where it will grow into a thick

inpenetrable
layer and is very difficult to get rid of.

Despite its common name, it is in fact a fern.

And it really composts very well. Many years ago we were lucky enough
to have a house with a garden abutting a very large pond. Its surface
was well and truly fouled with both Azolla and duckweed, for which I
was truly thankful, as it formed a prolific source of compost
material.

Franz