Old 10-04-2004, 11:03 PM
hermine stover

Default looking for sources...

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:03:29 -0700, Janice
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:45:17 -0500, "Mark. Gooley"
wrote:

I'm looking for a source of Bambusa balcooa; I've e-mailed
some businesses on the American Bamboo Society source
list, and I'm awaiting answers, but in the past I've had no
luck with any of the places ABS lists as sometimes having
it. I understand that it's a widespread pest in parts of
Australia, so perhaps people are reluctant to offer it.

In Southern California, it looks very much like Bambusa oldhamii. we
hear that it tastes better, and we are familiar with the story of how
monstrous huge it becomes in Australia, but this has not been the case
for US. I like it. Our plant came from one of The American Bamboo
Society auctions, and we understand there is not much of it in the
USA.

We have never yet been moved to propagate it because of the lack of
demand. I mean, it is rare here, but it is also very much like
oldhamii which is a standard of the industry for tall clumping
bamboos. I believe it is somewhat more cold-sensitive than oldhamii.

hermine