Old 11-04-2004, 02:02 PM
zxcvbob

Default planting orange seeds

Vitmar6 wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to germinate an orange seed from one of those little
orange trees? I've had a great little tree for 30 years and my brother recently
killed it by forgetting to water it. It about broke my heart. It had a bunch of
little oranges on it, so I have seeds, but I don't know how to go about trying
to grow a new plant from them.

Thanks,
Mari

Just plant the freshly harvested seeds without letting them dry out. Keep
moist and warm. Orange seedlings usually resemble their parent much more
than apple and pear seedlings do, so you have a good chance of getting a
nice tree. If you get 2 citrus seedlings from one seed, one of them is a
*clone* of the mother plant. So if you to plant lots of seeds and only
keep the ones that sprout 2 seedlings (separating them, of course) you
might can resurrect your old plant.

Good luck, and have a happy Easter,
Bob