Old 11-04-2004, 02:32 PM
Tom Randy

Default Very Very Newbie Questions

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 00:18:59 -0400, Rebecca Hilliard wrote:

I have some very basic questions I would love answers to.

1) How am I supposed to tell if my soil is "well drained" or not? And if
it's not, how do I make it so?

Do you have standing puddles of water that remain for long periods of
time? When you water does it take a LONG time for it to drain down? If so,
you can work in sand, perlite, compost, etc.

2) If a particular plant requires part shade, how much actual time is
that daily approximately?

I beleive full sun is 6 hours or more a day. Early morning or late
afternoon sun is ok for shade loving plants.

3) If a certain plant requires "sandy" soil-should I assume that means I
need to add sand to my soil? If so, how much is adequate? If not, what
does "sandy" soil actually mean?

Sandy soil would mean the soil has excellent drainage.
See above comments for well drained..

I would appreciate any help you can provide. Any suggestions, links,
etc. are welcome!!

Thanks,
Rebecca

Tom