Old 11-04-2004, 03:03 PM
dusty

Default Confusion! Help Ray!

"PhalGuy" wrote in
s.com:

hello again!

Does the Daylight or Coolwhite or White warm tube generate heat?

Thanks

Claude

"PhalGuy" wrote in message
s.com...
| Thanks again Matthew!
|
| My shelving unit is 19 3/4 inch wide so I will be able to put 2
| shoplight together for a total of 4 40 W 48 inch tube!
|
| I heard many thing about the kind of fluorescent to use, some said to
| go with the cheapest one I can find, an orchid greenhouse in Montreal
| are
using
| only Daylight tubes, so , I guess I will do my own experiment!
|
| Thank you very much!
|
| Claude
|

| "Matthew Donadio" wrote in message
| | "PhalGuy" wrote in message
| | s.com...
| | Could tell me how wide is a single shoplight?
| | I`m thinking putting 2 together to get 4 tubes!
| |
| | It depends on the ficture. I buy whatever is cheapest at Home
| | Depot
(they
| | run about $10/each). I have had some that have been about 8" wide,
others
| | are barely wider than the two tubes.
| |
| | So, according to your experience, a mix of CoolWhite and Warm
| | White is better than a simple Daylight?
| |
| | I can't say that yet. I started using the mix this year, and most
| | of my plants are new. A few are sending up inflorescences, so
| | we'll see.
| |
| | --Matt
| |
| |

First; all Fluorescent lamps generate enough heat to burn a plant if it
comes in contact with it.

Second let me say shop lights "ARRRGGGUUUH!" it's been my experiance that
they eat Fluorescent tubes twice as fast as ballasted fixtures and don't
put out as much light.

to see what I use go to http://www.graybar.com/ and paste this number into
the product search box upper left of page SS240120VAD-RM2S35TP-LD-U
it will open another page and then click on the details button.
this is just the best example I could find.

Notice it is a 40 watt not a 32 watt fixture. less watts = less light
You can butt these fixtures against each other to get more light
I use 4 of these per shelf and can grow & bloom catts as well as Phals.

Hope this helps
Dusty