Old 11-04-2004, 09:02 PM
Phisherman

Default Very Very Newbie Questions

On 10 Apr 2004 21:18:59 -0700, (Rebecca
Hilliard) wrote:

I have some very basic questions I would love answers to.

1) How am I supposed to tell if my soil is "well drained" or not?
And if it's not, how do I make it so?

After a good rain examine the ground. A well-drained area will not
have any standing water. Walking on it with sandals should not get
your feet wet. You can make an area "well drained" by diverting
runoff water by using drain tubes with gravel and/or making a raised
bed.

2) If a particular plant requires part shade, how much actual time is
that daily approximately?

Many gardeners consider 6 hours of sun is "full sun." From that,
anything less would be "part sun" or "part shade." Afternoon sun is
more intense than morning sun.

3) If a certain plant requires "sandy" soil-should I assume that means
I need to add sand to my soil? If so, how much is adequate? If not,
what does "sandy" soil actually mean?

Sandy soil contains a significant portion of sand. Take a close look
at the soil and feel it. A moist sandy soil will feel gritty. Only
the plant can "tell" you if enough is adequate, but a half inch of
sand worked into the area would be a good start.

I would appreciate any help you can provide. Any suggestions, links,
etc. are welcome!!

Thanks,
Rebecca