Old 11-04-2004, 10:33 PM
MissJuggs

Default More berries mean a hard winter - old wives tale?

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 21:11:50 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

Why then do we water and feed our plants so assiduously?
Why don't we just garden exclusively with plants which give their best
only when they are neglected to the point of dying?

Not all plants work like this. We often maintain those plants which
can be maintained in a condition of stress, without killing or
seriously weakening them, in that condition of stress as normal.
Amaryllis, for example, flower much better in very small pots, under
conditions in which other plants would be described as horribly root
bound. Other plants may flower better under conditions of stress, but
those stresses kill them, and if they flower reasonably well without
stress, then they might as well not be stressed.

Glenys

--
"A Newsweek poll said if the election were held today, John Kerry
would beat Bush 49 percent to 46 percent. And today, President Bush