Old 11-04-2004, 11:02 PM
Anonymous

Default Dead spots in lawn

Is it possible that some areas of the yard are being missed by the
sprinkler? I had a couple of spots that just were not getting as much
water as the rest of the yard due to the way the sprinkler patterns
overlapped (or rather didn't overlap). When we'd hit a dry patch these
spots would dry out and the yard would go brown in these areas. Here's
a test. Get two equal containers about 3 ~ 4 inches deep (something
like a tupperware container will do nicely). Put one container in the
middle of one of your chronic dead spots. Put the other where the grass
does well. Run your sprinkler system through a cycle. Does the
container from the dead spot have a lot less water? If so you need to
have the heads adjusted.

Jeffrey K. Judd wrote:

I had a new lawn and sprinkler system professionally installed in 1999.
Every year since 2002 there have been numerous dead spots everywhere. It
looks like it will be the same this year. I have always had a professional
landscaper take care of the fertilizer/weed killer/grub control
applications. (I usually apply starter fert. between his applications-this
was a tip from the lawn installation company). He has been unable to
explain why my grass dies.

The water from my point well has a lot of iron in it. The grass is Kentucky
Blue grass and was originally hydroseeded. My neighbor next door does not
have my lawns problem. His lawn/sprinklers were professionally installed in
'99 too, by a different company. His grass was from seed and his water is
city water; no iron.

Pictures can be seen at: http://www.outsourceparts.com/crappylawn (click on
the thumbnails for larger view)

-Is the iron a problem?

-Am I stressing the grass with the starter fertilizer?

-Good loam was added over my original lawn- I assume that is deep enough.

-I mow at 2.75" (1" lower for the last mowing)

What do you think the problem is?