Old 12-04-2004, 03:33 AM
B & J

Default My plant died. Help me find his brother

"Ricky" wrote in message

Ha, ha, ha! What could be easier?

You're right, Ricky. I threw out a four year old plant last summer because
it was too large but took cuttings before sending it to the compost pile.
The three cuttings I took are now colorful six inch plants with leaves that
spread over a foot and a half..

After they rooted, I planted the cuttings in high humus soil to which slow
release fertilizer was added and never allow the soil to become completely
dry. I keep the croton in a sunny southeast window because they require a
lot of light. One problem I've encountered with crotons is with spider
mites, but the mites can be quickly evicted with sharp blasts of water.
Another downside is that they flower at least twice during each spring and
summer and have messy flowers.

Last summer I purchased a second variety that has long narrow, twisting
leaves that change from green and yellow to dark burgundy with orange veins
as they age. I don't know the variety's name, but it's a plus that it
doesn't grow nearly as rapidly.

John