Old 12-04-2004, 09:32 AM
gregpresley

Default new radio station

People throw a lot of statistics around to make their point. Here is a
breakdown by the National Review (a very conservative publication) of the
voters in the 2000 election:
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m.../article.jhtml
I have put the words from the National Review article in quotation marks to
distinguish them from my comments, and to show their take on the statistics
they gathered.

"The voters who graduated from college went better (51) for the GOP than for
the Democrats (45) -3 went to Nader."

We'll have to add Nader's voters to the Democrats as liberal, so apparently
48+% of college graduates are liberals - not exactly a knockout for those
conservatives who want to prove that most people with higher-education are
conservative.

"What irritates is that those who go on to postgraduate education head out
in the wrong direction (52-44)."
(Meaning that they voted for Gore, not Bush.)
Whoops - this seems to directly contradict what the poster below implies
about education and political philosophy. Apparently, the MORE educated you
are, the more likely you are to have a liberal political philosophy.

"because voters who didn't even graduate from high school are stoutly
(59-39)Democratic."
This would support the view that the Democratic party has traditionally been
supportive of laborers and minorities, who, as a rule, have attained fewer
years of higher education.

"When you reach incomes over $50,000, the Republicans are strong (52), but
not overwhelming. And that margin of 52 climbs a mere two points for voters
who make over $100,000. Forty-three percent of the very affluent voted
Democratic, which raises the question: If you're so rich, why aren't you
smart?"

Makes one wonder who's defining "smart" and what the criteria are for making
that determination......
It also makes one wonder if we should identify those VERY AFFLUENT
Democrats (43% of the VERY AFFLUENT voting block) with the statement that
"liberalism is a refuge for those living in envy of the accomplishments of
others". I wouldn't say that the case is ironclad, would you?

"Spinner & Lugnut" wrote in message

The lower one's level of education, the more likely one is to be a
liberal. The less education one has, the lower one's average income is
likely to be.