Old 12-04-2004, 10:32 AM
Adam Gottschalk

Default Using (unusual) local trees?

I recently "discovered" the idea that I could do bonsai, to whatever
extent. I purchased a used book called "A step-by-step guide to growing
and displaying Bonsai" by Colin Lewis and Neil Sutherland (Smithmark).
It is a good book I think; I say knowing a fair amount about growing
other things, and having seen a zillion how-to-grow books, as I'm sure
we all have.

Toward the beginning, the authors make a plea for folks to seek out
local plants and trees and develop unique styles based on them. That
sort of thinking is right up my alley, but, again, I know nothing about
Bonsai. Nevertheless, I've found myself with the audacity to draw up a
short list of common Pacific Nortwest trees/shrubs I'd like to try, some
of which are not "typical" material for Bonsai, to my extremely limited
knowledge. I greatly welcome any thoughts on using or trying these, in
general and/or for the beginner:

1. Madrona (the bark seems to naturally have a great "bonsai effect")

2. Apple

3. Cherry

4. Camellia (sinensis)

and finally

5. Rose ?????

Portland being the City of Roses, I wonder if one can do a Bonsai rose.
I know there are "miniature roses" but that's not what I mean. I mean
taking the stock of a real rose and training it in Bonsai fashion. Is
that possible?