Old 12-04-2004, 11:02 AM
B & J

Default seedlings grow poorly, many greenish spots. What to do?

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
This is the first time I attempt to grow plants from seeds.

I've noticed about half of the seedlings aren't growing very well.
More disturbingly, greenish spots have appeared on the soil. It makes
me think some fungus has taken hold. snip
I'll appreciate any advice. Thanks!

I don't think there are any fungi with chloroplasts. After shooting down
several probes, but missing the two latest, Martian Defense Command has
begun to their counterstrike efforts. The little green dots are actually
embryonic Martian "Coluoid" battle drones. In couple of weeks they will
grow to full size and begin slaughtering any earthlings they find. Or it
could just be algae.

I like your Martian battle drones, but I don't think they have landed yet.
More likely the green spots arose from the peat that is often incorporated
into many potting soils. Moss often grows in pots where peat is part of the
mixture, particularly if placed are in a warm, moist, low light area. I've
had it grow in pots of plants I've started, but it doesn't seems to affect
growth.

There has to be something else affecting growth. My suggestion is to provide
more light and ventilation, and there certainly is no reason to throw out
the salvageable plants. Most seedlings survive a lot of abuse.

John