Old 12-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Postmaster

Default What to do with a rounded-up garden

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Postmaster" wrote in message

snipped some

We've done the bit nearest the house and are in the process of

killing
off the rough grass (think couch grass and horsetail) in the area
beyond. We are thinking of just sowing grass on this bit while we

think
what to do. When it's dead (after its second application of weed
killer) what do we do then? Dig it over, I presume, but what do we

do
with the dead stuff? As it's so full of nasty stuff, should we take

it
to the local dump?

If you had used either glyphosate or paraquat, compost or dig in the
dead stuff. Those two very effective weedkillers attack only the
green parts of plants and both are inactivated quite quickly once they
are in the soil. If you had used some other persistent chemical, you
should get it out of your garden one way or another.

Franz

The weed killer is roundup, so that's OK, I just don't trust the plants
to be totally dead - so out of the garden with it I suppose.

--
Jill the terrified gardener