Old 12-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Kay Easton

Default Monkey Puzzle Tree advice needed

In article , Sacha
writes

I think that's on a par with the sort of nursery customers who buy anything
if it's in flower. But if they ask for suggestions for a shrub for a
particular spot and what you suggest is perfect but in its dormant phase,
they will reject it. Even showing them pictures and RHS Encyclopedia
descriptions doesn't help. It's a combination of not knowing enough to
plan forward and wanting 'instant gratification'. ;-)

There may be a bit of that, but there's also the wanting to see the
thing in the flesh to be sure you're going to like it. If seen things in
books which look good, and which have wonderful descriptions, but I
don't like them at all when I see them in RL.

That means that if I know a plant well, I will buy it in the autumn, or
whenever I see it if it's a thing which isn't so readily available. But
if I'm not sure about it, I want to see it in bloom (or in autumn
colour, or in winter bark, or whatever I'm buying it for) before buying.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: