Old 12-04-2004, 04:06 PM
stricks760

Default Questions about S.A.B.

Hi -

Once the sun took an angle to hit my pond most of the day, and with water
temp at about 70 deg F, major string algae. It grew faster than I could
take it out -- remove in the AM, it was back in the PM. I prefer a natural
balance, but this stuff was absolutely taking over!

I dosed with String Algae Buster, and it definitely knocked it down, within
about 24 hours. The stuff became more brittle, and when removed, grew back
much more slowly. I also got some anacharis, water hyacinth, parrot feather
to hopefully start to compete with it for nutrients.

After about 5-6 days, the stuff started taking off again, so I dosed the
pond again yesterday.

Questions: (1) What kind of results can I expect with this stuff? Will it
totally resolve the problem? (2) Directions say to dose about every 7-10
days -- do I just dose it again when it starts to grow, or should I wait the
full 7-10 days? (3) The stuff is supposed to be harmless to fish and
plants, is there any downside to using it? (4) Directions don't state
whether I should turn off my UV - any comments?

Thanks - ~ 1200 gal, zone 10b, six, 6" Koi.