Old 12-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Janice

Default can you ID my shrub?

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:40:30 -0400, "madgardener"
wrote:

"escapee" wrote in message
.. .
It's not a forsythia. Do not "whack" it to the ground without knowing

what it
is. The photos are very poor and not clear enough to identify it properly.

can tell you, it's definitely not forsythia. Even if it was, I would

never
recommend hacking it to the ground.

I tend to agree with Escapee. To whack a forsythia to the ground sacrifices
the blooms for two years.

Shouldn't if you prune it *right* after it blooms since it blooms on
last season's wood.. which it would have grown after it was pruned..
would it not? Asking not arguing here.

I was kind of tongue in cheeking it on the whacking it down to the
ground.. if it were forsythia... through the story of heading for what
was here with the shovel and it being how I felt about it - I really
hate the stuff :-D So..guess I was flyin' too low there with that.
Usually I'm too hit in the head with it all. LOL

Janice

Copicing is fine if done properly. (copicing is
to cut something to the ground, also called stooling) If there are no
thorns, then it's a spirea and can be dug up now in early spring, trimmed
back a bit and replanted somewhere you want it.
madgardener who has done such things.