Old 12-04-2004, 07:07 PM
old_codger

Default Seeds

Henriette Kress wrote:

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:05:03 GMT, old_codger said:

I want to stock up on seeds to keep in store in case needed but I have a
few questions.

How long do they keep?

Depends on the seed. Some die immediately (... coffee), some can sprout
after hundreds of years (... mullein).

What kinds of seeds to get for veriety in food source.

What kinds of vegetables and root crops do you like?

What king to get to make sure the crop also produces seeds so the supply
will be ongoing. (Non-hybrid?)

You want heirloom seeds. That is, NON-hybrid.

Hybrids, well, they work if you have nothing else, and if you have a
steady supply to buy more when what you have is gone, but be aware that
hybrid offspring will look nothing much like the parent(s).

Where is a good source for the initial purchase?

Your local garden center / feed store.
They'll have types that thrive in YOUR climate.

What you really want is to get a garden going. Then you can see in
practice what you're now asking in theory.
And the best way to keep seeds, long-term, is on a succession of live
plants.

I do a garden every year but it's just veggies, peppers and the like.
No grains.