Old 12-04-2004, 08:33 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] cicada

Jim Lewis wrote:

Well, it seems here in Maryland that we're preparing for our

17-yr visit
from cicadas.

http://www.mda.state.md.us/press/cicada.htm

Yikes! I'm still a relative newbie. I wasn't working with

bonsai on the last
cicada visit 17 years ago. Can anyone give me some instruction

on what I
should do to protect my trees?

Thanks!
Lisa Miller
Westminster, MD
region 6/7

First, don't worry about it too much. If there are full size
hardwood trees in your neighborhood, the adult cicadas will
choose them first -- more food and cover (birds are quite fond of
these very juicy bugs).

snip

You learn to live with them. They usually don't do a LOT
of damage.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

We had them here in southern NY either last summer or the summer before--I can't
remember which. I didn't see any damage. As Jim said, you can't miss them.
They're big and noisy.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37