Old 12-04-2004, 10:33 PM

Default Seeds

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:30:32 +0300, Henriette Kress
wrote:

Where is a good source for the initial purchase?

Your local garden center / feed store.
They'll have types that thrive in YOUR climate.

I don't know where the original poster is located, but this
sure hasn't been true in my experience in several states in
the northeastern USA. Local garden centers have a very,
very poor selection of seeds and not particularly suited to
the area either.

To the O.P.: since you have (or someone else has, maybe)
included 'misc.survivalism', I will assume you want to keep
these seeds a long time for some survivalist purpose or
other.

If I wanted to do this, I'd buy non-hybrid garden seeds
dry-packed in cans for very long storage. For the grains,
you can just buy grains that are sold for people to eat:
also in cans or 5-gallon buckets, and nitrogen-packed,
suitable for long storage.

One place that carries such seeds and grains, packed in cans
is:

http://www.waltonfeed.com

This would be a good place for your initial purchase.

What you really want is to get a garden going. Then you can see in
practice what you're now asking in theory.
And the best way to keep seeds, long-term, is on a succession of live
plants.

Right. This is absolutely correct.

Pat